An even bronze tan is a summer dream of many people. It really looks very impressive, gives the body a certain gloss and is a distinctive feature of a well-spent hot season. But it is extremely important that the tan does not cause damage to health. After all, there is always a threat to get melanoma – an extremely dangerous oncological skin disease, which is just the result of going overboard with the sun.
What is the harm of the sun?
No one disputes that life on the planet is impossible without a heavenly body. This is a truism. However, without taking security measures and treating the tan thoughtlessly, the sun’s rays can easily turn into the worst opponents. After all, in fact, a tan is nothing more than a protective reaction of the epidermis, which occurs due to the too active influence of ultraviolet rays.
The harmful effects of the sun can provoke:
- skin burn, accompanied by redness, blistering, and later peeling of the skin;
- early photoaging, manifested: dryness, dehydration, wrinkling, loss of elasticity and the manifestation of skin pigmentation;
- photodermatitis, provoking diseases of the eye and reduced visual acuity;
- tumor melanoma, it is very difficult to care;
- heat stroke.
As practice shows, a tan on different people lies in its own way. It depends on the phototype of the skin and it is important to correctly determine your own. There are 3 main types common in our latitudes:
- Northern European. Light-skinned, blue-eyed people, red-haired or blonde. They have an increased risk of burns.
- Central European. Its carriers are prone to severe redness of the skin and its rapid browning.
- South European. It is inherent in dark-skinned people.
Staying in the sun, it is worth remembering some simple, but extremely important principles:
- The most unfortunate time for tanning is from 10 to 14 hours.
- The first days of tanning – the presence in the open sun for no more than 20 minutes.
- At least 70% of the rays are reflected from the surface of the water, so even being in the shade does not save from their action.
- During the tanning period, you should review your diet and exclude products that can provoke an undesirable reaction of the body. So, oversaturation with vitamins C and A can lead to allergies, and St. John’s wort (decoctions, tinctures) – to hyperpigmentation.
- Decorative cosmetics and perfumes applied before going to the beach, in conjunction with UV rays can cause severe allergies.
Principles of proper tanning
Being on the beach during the period of the highest radiation activity, you need to adhere to the basic principles:
- Change the body position as often as possible (every 4-5 minutes).
- At first, when the skin is not yet accustomed to the sun’s effects, an active tan should be alternated with being in shading. After 6 minutes of sun treatments, you should take a break. The session period, in general, is no more than an hour.
- The use of sunscreens is a prerequisite. Before and after bathing, it is better to update them periodically.
- After tanning, you should rinse with fresh water and apply a moisturizing milk or a special cooling balm to the body.
Modern cosmetic brands produce sunscreens in various forms. For example:
- Oil-suitable if you want to get a strong tan and really dark skin.
- Milk is perfectly distributed throughout the body, but it is erased quite quickly and loses some of its properties, which means that it requires additional application.
- Creams and lotions-also disperse well on the skin and fit perfectly, but need repeated updates as needed. The SPF factors of such funds are very different.
- Sprays and gels are the best solution for people with an oily skin type, because they are devoid of a lipid base, so they will not add unnecessary gloss and shine to the epidermis.
Important! Cream and oil textures of sunscreen cosmetics are suitable for skin prone to dryness and normal. And fat-free forms and means in the form of sprays will protect the oily and mixed.
By the way, you can choose the most suitable option for UV cosmetics after conducting an elementary skin rapid reaction test. To do this, apply a little of the product to the inner bend of the elbow and leave for half an hour. The absence of any manifestations of sensitivity, signs of allergies or rashes, indicates that the product is suitable. Have a good choice!